Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Happy Birthday Kendall Rose Mercurio!!!! Welcome to the earth!

By Jennifer (Double Duty Mommy) at 11:33 AM
So this wont really be a Birth Story blog, because honestly I'm too tired to go into every detail of it but I tell you some parts :)

Saturday night at 8 I began feeling really bad contractions and if you follow my tweets then I even tweeted that I was getting in the shower hoping that would help. Well 2 hours later and I was STILL dying and they were getting worse. We never timed them but figured they were about 1-2minutes apart!
John called and said we are on our way, no questions asked.

Once we got there they didnt even triage me like our normal false labor visits we had in the past couple weeks. I was checked and I was still just 3cm & -2 station but now 60% effaced. Being monitored they saw that yeah my contractions were 1-2minutes apart and by my reaction really intense. Already I told them that I do want an epidural but my doctor told me she wanted me to progress some more before I got it.
 Having contractions... I thought I was goign to rip that handle off
(thanks for the pic honey, lol)

Everyone thought it'd be quick since my contractions were so close but nope 8 (yes EIGHT!) hours later I was finally 4-5cm, 70%, still -2 station. It took about a hour to get my epidural and finally I had some release.
It's about 6am now and I was feeling good. About... 1 hour later I began to feel contractions again, not painful at first but still, I shouldn't have felt them. We waited it out and then it was like I never had the epidural at all!
Another hour later, they came in and gave me the same epidural medicine that women get for a c-section!

It did NOTHING! I was still feeling every single thing and drying along the way. Of course they were getting worse and worse and I wasn't even progressing when ever they'd check me :/ It sucked.
Tweeting in between contractions #twitterbirth

A lot of stuff I don't really remember because I was in so much pain I didn't want anyone talking to me, I wasn't looking at the clock, I didn't care about anything except feeling better... but I wasn't feeling better at all.

Then, I began feeling soo much pressure. Told John and he told the nurses, when she checked me I was 9cm, 70% and -1 station. WTF?! I was dying here people!
It continued and apparently because it was so bad I began holding my breath, so much so that I was making my cervix swell up. I tried to breath, and eventually the swelling went down (about 2 hours later).
Eventually I just screamed out, IM PUSHING! lol. John ran out and the doctor and nurses ran in, of course telling me to stop. Seriously, lol, ok, lemme just stop the pressure and the need to push.
When I was checked I was +1 station, 10cm and 100% so yay, it was time.
10 minutes later and having I thought I ripped my whole body in half Kendall Rose was born. Even though she was 8lbs 1oz I didn't rip one tiny bit! I don't know how but hey, I'll take it, lol.

We were pleasantly surprised that when I told my Dr. that [of course] I wanted her to stay with us for as long as possible before they took her away and bathed her, they told us that they never take the babies away (unless medically necessary). It's pretty much their rule that babies stay with the parents for at least 5 hours before they get a bath. I was so happy to hear that since I was already ready to argue if I needed to. Furthermore, when it's bath time they give the baby a bath in room, not in the nursery, so again, baby never leaves your sight!

Also, the whole entire time at the hospital she stayed with us because although my hospital has a nursery they don't even let you have the option to have them watch your baby. It's 24/7 stay-in style or whatever so Kendall got to sleep in the same room with us, another thing both John & I wanted.

An amazing feature (that I've NEVER seen before) was that both Kendall and I had a bracelet monitor thing on. They were linked together so every 1/2 hour, if I got close to Kendall a little chime would go off letting us know she was my baby. If another mother would have gotten near Kendall alarms and lights would flash through-out the maternity floor. Also, there is a red line on the ground near every exit so if your baby is stolen by someone and they try to leave then again, the alarms and lights will go crazy! John and I felt soooo incredibly comfortable because of that.

Our hospital visit was definitely one of THE BEST visits I've ever had at a hospital 100%. Anyone ever in Florida and want a great hospital, then lemme know.

My baby all covered in vernix.
The scale changed too fast but she was 8.1 pounds, I promise, lol

Daddy holding his new daughter for the 1st time

soo in love already

My 1st time holding Kendall

tried latching. I got too frustrated so I pumped and INSTANTLY got 10ml outta my bewb

My bewbs love me cuz day 2 and I already have 3oz from each!

It was a crazy and longgggggggggggggg experience but she came out perfectly 100% healthy for being 3weeks early. No lung problems, no hearing problems, NOTHING! Plus, she sleeps 24/7 so yay!
We are truly blessed. ♥

14 commented:

Missa on July 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM said...

First off, congratulations!!!

Second, I need to stop reading birth stories so close to my due date...freaking out...

Dani on July 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM said...

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl!!!

MommyKnowsMess on July 21, 2010 at 12:06 PM said...

Congrats ! Glad she's doing well and your bewbs are Rockin ! LOL
Mine were 8 14 and 8 7 so big babies are what I'm use too :-) For three weeks early it shows you were doing great giving her the nurishment she needed to be so healthy weighing in at 8 1 !! Great job momma !

Anonymous said...

I love your hospital gown!!

Thanks for sharing Kendall's birth with us! She's gorgeous..and Mommy & Daddy both look so proud!

Congrats to those boobies for producing! Get lots of rest!

Delisha = Mommy in Charge on July 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM said...


jenn@peacelovemommy on July 21, 2010 at 3:22 PM said...

your story had me flinching and writhing with pain at every turn but im really glad she's 100% and so are you! Congrats on no tearing!!!
honestly thats something to be proud of hahaha.

Princess Mom on July 21, 2010 at 3:32 PM said...

Congrats to you and your family..She is a total beauty!!

Wish you lived in Vegas so I could eat her up =)

Traci66 on July 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM said...

Congrats. She is adorable.

Busy Working Mama on July 21, 2010 at 6:14 PM said...

Congrats and awesome job pumping! You rock! Can't wait to see more pictures :)

Karine Traverse on July 21, 2010 at 7:26 PM said...

Congrats I am happy to hear everything is fine despite her early arrival. Sorry you had so much pain, but it is over now and you have Kendall, who by the way is beautiful.

Tara on July 22, 2010 at 12:06 AM said...

Congrats on your little girl!!!! How exciting! Great job on pumping! Make sure you see the Lactation Consultant before you go...she should be able to help you! I pump 3x a day at work so I know both sides and believe me regular breastfeeding is so much easier and rewarding!

Laina on July 22, 2010 at 8:45 AM said...

Congratulations on your new little girl! :) Love the name :) And she is a precious little beauty! What a crazy birth story, you poor thing. Now you can move on. Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing :)

Bargain Mom on July 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM said...

I couldn't help but notice your hospital gown, too cute! Congrats!

I have an award waiting for you on my blog @

Have a great weekend!

jc on July 24, 2010 at 2:28 AM said...

Congratulations to the both of you. Little Makenna must be really excited to be the big sis now. Take care.

Post a Comment

For a giveaway: be sure to include your email address in every single entry, please!