Friday, November 4, 2011

imemories saved our vhs tapes! #preservingmemories #cbias

By Jennifer (Double Duty Mommy) at 11:58 AM
So tell me, how many old VHS tapes do you have in the attic? A lot? Yeah, me too. Well recently I was asked to send in those old tapes and I could get them made into DVD's!

iMemories is a new service provided by The UPS Store.
To start the process we had to find some old movies. The hubby dug these up. To be honest, we couldn't even tell you what is on these tapes since it's been that long since they were watched. We don't even own a VHS player so there was no way to even check them out. With today's technology changing at a rapid pace you have to keep your valuable memories up to speed or they will be lost forever. I don't think anyone takes pictures and videos of friends and family with the thought that they can't view them in X-amount of years.
Of course we want to preserve those memories for a lifetime for generations to come and that's where iMemories comes in!

Getting started is so easy. There are 4 ways to get your memories safely to the iMemories team. After you choose which option you are going with you print the special shipping label and you're good to go!


I chose The UPS Store route so once I had my shipping label filled out it was time to head to The UPS Store with my tapes.


Once I got to the store no one there had heard about iMemories and the guy had no idea what to do with my tapes, lol. I was pretty clueless on the whole thing so I was definitely no help to him. The manager called iMemories and after a brief 1 minute conversation everything was figured out. Since I already had my shipping labels all The UPS Store had to do was pack up my VHS tapes and order form then secure the label to the box. Simple.
You can check out more of my path from The UPS Store-home by checking out my ThisMoment story.

About 4 days later I received an email that my tapes arrived safely at iMemories! Then about 2 days later I received another email saying that my tapes had been converted to digital form and I could view them online.
Each tape you send in is $9.99. The $9.99 pays for iMemories to convert your tapes to digital form. Once your memories are digital you have 30 days to sort, edit and make a label for your tapes. If you'd like to have your tapes shipped to you on a DVD you simply pay another $9.99 and in a matter of days you will receive your old VHS tapes and a pretty DVD!
Viewing them online was so exciting because we found out that the tapes were amazing family memories. One tape was my husband's first day at Kindergarten, 1 tape was lots of family footage of my husband when he was 2 years old. This tape really got to the hubby because his dad (his dad passed away 3 years ago), grandma (passed away 5 years after this video) and great grandma (passed away within 3 years of the footage being shot), and grandpa (passed away shortly after the footage was shot) was on his tape. So many memories he doesn't remember but all people he dies to remember about.
The last tape was a surprise since it was footage from a Christmas in the '60's with my husband's mom and uncle when she was 4 (he wasn't born yet) and then when she was 7 and he was 2.

We ordered two DVDs of each VHS tape and we are planning on sending these to my husband's mom for Christmas. We know she will be thrilled to see all this footage.

The whole iMemories process took about 2 weeks from start to finish and about $100. But now we have 6 DVDs and I ordered 2 day shipping so we would see them at home quicker!

I definitely think iMemories is a great way to preserve memories for so many years to come.
This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias #CBias. All opinions about iMemories are my own. :)

5 commented:

Samantha @ Lillian McKay Designs on November 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM said...

I totally need to do this! We have tons of VHS and no player so making them to DVD would be so nice!

Jennifer (Double Duty Mommy) on November 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM said...

It is AWESOME! You definitely have to do it!

Turning the Clock Back on November 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM said...

I really need to do this for some of my old tapes! i would hate to lose them!

The Rebel Chick on November 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM said...

I love this service! I can't believe how quickly you were able to get your shipped out and sent back, I am still waiting on mine to be returned to me - I didn't even think about choosing expedited shipping.

Marcie W. on December 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM said...

My ultrasound with Bub is on VHS! I'd love to convert it to have it forever!

Post a Comment

For a giveaway: be sure to include your email address in every single entry, please!